Cream cheese V soft cheese
Nik&Andy
2004-09-25 07:01:48 UTC
I'm making a cheesecake and the recipe calls for cream cheese. I couldn't
find cream cheese in Tesco so if full fat soft cheese the same(ish) thing?
If not does anyone want 900g of Philadelphia and where can I get cream
cheese? :-)

DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that Philadelphia is
not cream cheese its totally different - then changed his story to be that
Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to butter.

Nik
David Wilkinson
2004-09-25 09:01:02 UTC
Post by Nik&Andy
I'm making a cheesecake and the recipe calls for cream cheese. I couldn't
find cream cheese in Tesco so if full fat soft cheese the same(ish) thing?
If not does anyone want 900g of Philadelphia and where can I get cream
cheese? :-)
I've always used Philadelphia (or sometimes own-brand equivalent) for my
cheesecakes. Never regretted it. Just don't use the one that has garlic
and herbs mixed in with it :-)
Post by Nik&Andy
DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that Philadelphia is
not cream cheese its totally different - then changed his story to be that
Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to butter.
Sounds like you'll have spare cheesecake left over then, or just eat it
all yourself...

I remember making a rather nice lemon cheesecake when some friends came
over, many years ago now. The young, and rather naive wife, liked the
cheesecake and asked if there really was cheese in it. "Of course there
is," I said. She inquired what sort of cheese it was. "Red Leicester," I
jokingly replied. She believed me. I do hope she never tried to make one
herself...

Dave W.
Phil C.
2004-09-25 14:56:23 UTC
Post by Nik&Andy
DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that Philadelphia is
not cream cheese its totally different - then changed his story to be that
Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to butter.
Sounds like you'll have spare cheesecake left over then, or just eat it
all yourself...
I remember making a rather nice lemon cheesecake when some friends came
over, many years ago now. The young, and rather naive wife, liked the
cheesecake and asked if there really was cheese in it. "Of course there
is," I said. She inquired what sort of cheese it was. "Red Leicester," I
jokingly replied. She believed me. I do hope she never tried to make one
herself...
It wasn't a totally daft question, though. If you were to make lemon
cheese and use it as filling for a cake then I suppose you'd have a
"lemon cheese cake" with no cheese in it. I also dimly recall that as
children we bought something called "cheesecake" that was dry, flaky
pastry with coconut and very sparse icing on top. Pretty unappealing
even in those days - and no sign of cheese.

I dimly recall that the term "cheese" was an English regional usage
that encompassed anything boiled down until it was semi solid - hence
lemon cheese and the origins of Philadelphia cheese.
Phil C.
davek
2004-09-25 16:37:20 UTC
Post by Phil C.
I dimly recall that the term "cheese" was an English regional usage
that encompassed anything boiled down until it was semi solid - hence
lemon cheese and the origins of Philadelphia cheese.
I believe the English word "cheese" has Latin origins and relates
spcifically to the milk-based product. I also believe that other
products called cheese, such as fruit cheese, are named for their
similar consistency to cheese.

But I may be wrong.

d.
Phil C.
2004-09-25 17:27:58 UTC
Post by davek
Post by Phil C.
I dimly recall that the term "cheese" was an English regional usage
that encompassed anything boiled down until it was semi solid - hence
lemon cheese and the origins of Philadelphia cheese.
I believe the English word "cheese" has Latin origins and relates
spcifically to the milk-based product. I also believe that other
products called cheese, such as fruit cheese, are named for their
similar consistency to cheese.
But I may be wrong.
Yes - I was meaning that the regional usage (North Midlands?) was a
development from that more common usage, not the origin of it. I think
it was in a book about the British regional origins of some American
terms - but it was a long time ago. As I recall, Philadelphia
"cheese" originated from this usage and was milk boiled down
("cheesed") until it solidified rather than cheese in our usual
curdled sense of the word. I don't know if it still is made that way -
I can't remember the last time I ate it.

FWIW, the original original original root of "cheese" seems to have
been a (reconstructed) Indo-European term meaning "to ferment",
according to MW. Remember that in case it's ever the final question on
"Who Wants to be a Millionaire"
Phil C.
Anon
2004-10-05 14:27:21 UTC
Actually the word cheese is derived from anglosaxon cheshyr, ie, Cheshire,
and originally referred to anything with the consistency of salt. Hence
"cheesed off", ie, salted off, miserable and raw.

Cheesecake is a corruption of Chesapeake, referring to the origin of the
sweet and not at all to cheese. The original used salted fish and honey to
give it extra flavor.

consistency to cheese.
Giles Todd
2004-10-05 20:41:35 UTC
Post by Anon
Actually the word cheese is derived from anglosaxon cheshyr, ie, Cheshire,
and originally referred to anything with the consistency of salt. Hence
"cheesed off", ie, salted off, miserable and raw.
Not really, no. OED2 concerning 'cheese':

[OE. (Anglian) cése, (WSax.) *cíese, cýse (with i- umlaut from céasi,
c\si) = OHG. châsi (MHG. kæse, Ger. käse), OLG. kâsi, kêsi (MDu. kâse,
Du. kaas):—WGer. *kâsi, ad. L. case-us cheese (bef. 5th c.).]

and 'cheesed':

[Etym.unkn.]

Giles.
davek
2004-10-05 22:04:42 UTC
Post by Anon
Actually the word cheese is derived from anglosaxon cheshyr, ie, Cheshire,
and originally referred to anything with the consistency of salt. Hence
"cheesed off", ie, salted off, miserable and raw.
I see you have so little faith in your words that you don't wish to be
associated with them by name. I don't blame you.

d.

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot
2004-09-25 14:44:05 UTC
Post by Nik&Andy
I'm making a cheesecake and the recipe calls for cream cheese. I
couldn't find cream cheese in Tesco so if full fat soft cheese the
same(ish) thing? If not does anyone want 900g of Philadelphia and
where can I get cream cheese? :-)
DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that
Philadelphia is not cream cheese its totally different - then changed
his story to be that Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to
butter.
Philly's exactly what you want and it *is* cream cheese. Mascarpone's good,
and Tesco's full fat soft cheese would be fine too.

Si
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot
2004-09-25 14:46:42 UTC
Post by Nik&Andy
I'm making a cheesecake and the recipe calls for cream cheese. I
couldn't find cream cheese in Tesco so if full fat soft cheese the
same(ish) thing? If not does anyone want 900g of Philadelphia and
where can I get cream cheese? :-)
DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that
Philadelphia is not cream cheese its totally different - then changed
his story to be that Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to
butter.
And...

www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-00,philadelphia_cream_cheese_cheesecake,FF.html

...for inspiration :)

Si
Arri London
2004-09-26 00:26:22 UTC
Post by Nik&Andy
I'm making a cheesecake and the recipe calls for cream cheese. I couldn't
find cream cheese in Tesco so if full fat soft cheese the same(ish) thing?
If not does anyone want 900g of Philadelphia and where can I get cream
cheese? :-)
DH is looking over my shoulder and laughingly told me that Philadelphia is
not cream cheese its totally different - then changed his story to be that
Philadelphia is to cheese what Stork is to butter.
Nik
In the US Philadelphia brand is labelled cream cheese. The US versions
tastes just like the UK version, so I imagine it will work despite the
thickeners in it.
A real cream cheese is made from milk and cream without added gums or
starches. Try a wholefood shop, someplace that sells French cheese or a
specialty cheesemonger for the real thing.