Spoon Or Fork?
Saxman
2007-01-05 20:39:58 UTC
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Ophelia
2007-01-05 20:45:04 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Dunno but I use a fork.

O waiting to see if she is beyond the pale!
June Hughes
2007-01-05 21:32:23 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Dunno but I use a fork.
O waiting to see if she is beyond the pale!
Nah! Of course you are not, O:) I couldn't give a flying **** whether
people use a spoon or a fork for their risotto. It really doesn't
matter one bit. The only thing that matters is how the risotto tastes
and the ease of use of the utensil. No cocked little fingers here,
me-dear.

June, who is taking daughter out for sushi tomorrow lunchtime as a
slightly belated birthday treat. ( I don't like sushi but she loves
it). I hope they have lovely fried squash patties and chicken teriyaki.
I rather like both of those dishes.
June Hughes
Tom Anderson

made up languages, delusions, skin diseases and unaided human flight
June Hughes
2007-01-06 22:19:56 UTC
Post by Tom Anderson
Post by June Hughes
Post by Ophelia
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Dunno but I use a fork.
O waiting to see if she is beyond the pale!
Nah! Of course you are not, O:) I couldn't give a flying ****
whether people use a spoon or a fork for their risotto. It really
doesn't matter one bit. The only thing that matters is how the
risotto tastes and the ease of use of the utensil.
Straw?
Certainly not, if it is prepared properly.
June Hughes
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-05 22:37:14 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Dunno but I use a fork.
O waiting to see if she is beyond the pale!
No idea either, so back to the holy scriptures: when in doubt, do like
the lady of the house. If she's right, you've learned something and if
she's wrong, you don't want to upstage her.

Unless of course the risotto in question is crap and you don't ever want
to be a guest again, in which case it is good taste to eat with your
fingers then lick the plate clean. A final belch would be a very nice
touch.
:)

Greg
--
100% natural - Nothin' left but the squeal

No ficus = no spam
Ophelia
LOL
Richard Tobin
2007-01-06 01:01:21 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
A spoon is traditional, and works better for a nice runny risotto.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
JennyC
2007-01-06 11:42:14 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Menu/DiningEtiquetteGuide.htm says:
Risotto: Using a fork or a spoon, push the grains of cooked rice out
slightly toward the edge of the bowl, eating only from the pulled out ring
of rice. Continue spreading from the center and eating around the edges in a
circle. This will keep the risotto hot as you enjoy your risotto.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,,1921307,00.html has:
Dylan Jones, editor of GQ
The big no at the moment is using a mobile when you're having lunch or
dinner. Why can't people just turn it off? No one's that important. No one's
that busy. And behaving as if you constantly need to be in touch with people
makes you look a bit desperate, especially in business. And as for eating
with only a fork in your right hand - that's only acceptable if you're
eating risotto or pasta.

http://eatbrisvegas.blogspot.com/2006/09/joy-of-risotto.html has the
following:
Finally, I have said this to many people: eat risotto with a fork, not a
spoon. Eating risotto with a spoon makes it too easy, mechanical and
monotonous, whereas a fork allows you to fiddle with it a little more. I
also feel that the first taste of risotto should touch you tongue first, not
the roof of your mouth, therefore a fork works best. Enjoy.

Jenny :~)
Ophelia
2007-01-06 11:52:17 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
Risotto: Using a fork or a spoon, push the grains of cooked rice out
slightly toward the edge of the bowl, eating only from the pulled out ring
of rice. Continue spreading from the center and eating around the edges in
a circle. This will keep the risotto hot as you enjoy your risotto.
Oh heck! Lot to remember there when I just want my lunch:))
Post by JennyC
Dylan Jones, editor of GQ
The big no at the moment is using a mobile when you're having lunch or
dinner.
Nope, I never use my spoon or my mobile, just my fork!
Thank you Jenny :))
JennyC
2007-01-06 12:01:07 UTC
<snipped>
Post by Ophelia
Oh heck! Lot to remember there when I just want my lunch:))
Thank you Jenny :))
Perhaps I should introduce myself. Martin kept telling me about this group,
so I thought I'd pop in.

I live in Holland but was brought up on spotted dick, stew with dumplings,
eggy fingers etc......
Nowadays my repertoire is far more cosmopolitan.

I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)

Jenny
The Reid
2007-01-06 12:53:14 UTC
Post by JennyC
I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)
good for you and hello.
--
Mike Reid
UK Walking - photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Beginners UK flight sim addons "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"
JennyC
2007-01-07 08:48:52 UTC
Post by The Reid
Post by JennyC
I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)
good for you and hello.
--
Mike Reid
Spain Walking -food "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk"
Beginners UK flight sim addons "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"
Hi
Love your website :~)
Want to do the Thames path one day.........
There are some nice cafes along the way (to get us back on topic!)
Jenny
June Hughes
2007-01-07 10:01:27 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by The Reid
Post by JennyC
I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)
good for you and hello.
--
Mike Reid
Spain Walking -food "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk"
Beginners UK flight sim addons "http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk"
Hi
Love your website :~)
Want to do the Thames path one day.........
There are some nice cafes along the way (to get us back on topic!)
Jenny
Hello Jenny. (urgler). Haven't seen you here before. If you have been,
then apologies. If you haven't, then a very warm welcome.
June Hughes
JennyC
2007-01-07 10:25:01 UTC
Post by June Hughes
Jenny
Hello Jenny. (urgler). Haven't seen you here before. If you have been,
then apologies. If you haven't, then a very warm welcome.
June Hughes
Just recently started to lurk here.........nice group :~))
Jenny
June Hughes
2007-01-07 11:00:58 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by June Hughes
Jenny
Hello Jenny. (urgler). Haven't seen you here before. If you have been,
then apologies. If you haven't, then a very warm welcome.
June Hughes
Just recently started to lurk here.........nice group :~))
Jenny
We are a very friendly group, as you will discover. Stick around. Some
of the others subscribe to urg.
June Hughes
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:14:30 UTC
Post by JennyC
Want to do the Thames path one day.........
There are some nice cafes along the way (to get us back on topic!)
Something like this:
http://www.calmeilles.co.uk/pictures/walk/index.html ?
Matthew doesn't mention cafés, but maybe it's something you can correct.
:)

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Ophelia
2007-01-06 14:31:22 UTC
Post by JennyC
<snipped>
Post by Ophelia
Oh heck! Lot to remember there when I just want my lunch:))
Thank you Jenny :))
Perhaps I should introduce myself. Martin kept telling me about this
group, so I thought I'd pop in.
Howdie do:)))) Welcome from a dismal and dark Scotland:))
Post by JennyC
I live in Holland but was brought up on spotted dick, stew with dumplings,
eggy fingers etc......
Now that is what I call a *good* start:)
Post by JennyC
Nowadays my repertoire is far more cosmopolitan.
Ooooh get 'er:))))))
Post by JennyC
I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)
Don't worry, we will soon get you trained up <G>

Where is that Martin anway?

Ophelia
JennyC
2007-01-07 08:50:23 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
<snipped>
Perhaps I should introduce myself. Martin kept telling me about this
group, so I thought I'd pop in.
Howdie do:)))) Welcome from a dismal and dark Scotland:))
Which bit ? I love Scotland .............apart from the mozzies !
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
I live in Holland but was brought up on spotted dick, stew with
dumplings, eggy fingers etc......
Now that is what I call a *good* start:)
Yeah - I still have the figure to prove it :~(
Post by JennyC
I still hate Bisto Gravy Granulas though :~)
Don't worry, we will soon get you trained up <G>
Where is that Martin anway?
Ophelia
Playing with his boat ?
Jenny
Ophelia
2007-01-07 10:33:07 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
<snipped>
Perhaps I should introduce myself. Martin kept telling me about this
group, so I thought I'd pop in.
Howdie do:)))) Welcome from a dismal and dark Scotland:))
Which bit ? I love Scotland .............apart from the mozzies !
I am between Glasgow and Stirling (I give people the bigger places cos I
don't know how familiar they are with Scotland:))
Post by JennyC
Post by Ophelia
Where is that Martin anway?
Ophelia
Playing with his boat ?
Well just you tell him it is time he got his bum back in here:))
JennyC
2007-01-07 12:06:18 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
<snipped>
Perhaps I should introduce myself. Martin kept telling me about this
group, so I thought I'd pop in.
Howdie do:)))) Welcome from a dismal and dark Scotland:))
Which bit ? I love Scotland .............apart from the mozzies !
I am between Glasgow and Stirling (I give people the bigger places cos I
don't know how familiar they are with Scotland:))
Nice bit :~) Don't know it well tho
Post by Ophelia
Post by JennyC
Post by Ophelia
Where is that Martin anway?
Ophelia
Playing with his boat ?
Well just you tell him it is time he got his bum back in here:))
forwarded :~)
Jenny
Phil C.
2007-01-06 12:29:45 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by Saxman
[...]
Blimey. That's the sort of stuff that makes me want to eat it with a
gardening trowel or coal tongs or something. But actually it should be
eaten one grain at a time with a gold pin - and pinkie extended, of
course. Anything else is simply non-U, dahlings.
Phil C.
Ophelia
2007-01-06 14:32:01 UTC
Post by Phil C.
Blimey. That's the sort of stuff that makes me want to eat it with a
gardening trowel or coal tongs or something. But actually it should be
eaten one grain at a time with a gold pin - and pinkie extended, of
course. Anything else is simply non-U, dahlings.
well you realise that now you will have make some and have us all over for
training:)
The Reid
2007-01-06 12:53:14 UTC
Post by JennyC
Risotto: Using a fork or a spoon, push the grains of cooked rice out
slightly toward the edge of the bowl, eating only from the pulled out ring
of rice. Continue spreading from the center and eating around the edges in a
circle. This will keep the risotto hot as you enjoy your risotto.
doesn't the US have different etiquette from elsewhere round cutlery?
That swapping thing.
Waldo Centini
2007-01-06 20:46:44 UTC
The Reid surprised us with
Post by The Reid
That swapping thing.
That's with husbands and wives, isn't it?
--
Waldo

*** Is This A Dead Parrot I See Before Me ***
To respond through email remove removespam
Waldo Centini
2007-01-06 20:58:07 UTC
The Reid surprised us with
Post by The Reid
That swapping thing.
Or did you mean that thwapping thing? Ask Ophe.... <ducks>

Ophelia
2007-01-06 20:59:28 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
The Reid surprised us with
*glare*
The Reid
2007-01-06 12:53:14 UTC
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 20:39:58 +0000, Saxman
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
fork, I reckon. If its as a starter, which it probably should be,
debrette will tell you you should only use a fork, people who serve
starters that need a knife are breaking the rules. (I noted that the
lairdette I put up with only served suitable starters). But I think
this is one of the outdated ones, I doubt many care and it does not
seem to have any place in improving the dining expereince, but its
always best to know the rules you are breaking.
Sacha
2007-01-06 14:16:35 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
fork, I reckon. If its as a starter, which it probably should be,
debrette will tell you you should only use a fork, people who serve
starters that need a knife are breaking the rules.
Like Parma ham and melon? ;-) And while I have certainly seen people
struggle to eat smoked salmon with a fork only because they think fish
knives vulgar, they look very silly, all too often!
Post by The Reid
(I noted that the
lairdette I put up with only served suitable starters). But I think
this is one of the outdated ones, I doubt many care and it does not
seem to have any place in improving the dining expereince, but its
always best to know the rules you are breaking.
The only etiquette rule I can think of for spoons and forks is that if you
use a spoon for a pudding you 'should' use a fork, too, whereas you can use
a fork alone.
I've always eaten risotto with a fork only and a bit of nice crusty bread
for the mopping up at the end. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
graham
2007-01-06 16:39:10 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
fork, I reckon. If its as a starter, which it probably should be,
debrette will tell you you should only use a fork, people who serve
starters that need a knife are breaking the rules. (I noted that the
lairdette I put up with only served suitable starters). But I think
this is one of the outdated ones, I doubt many care and it does not
seem to have any place in improving the dining expereince, but its
always best to know the rules you are breaking.
--
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Graham
Ophelia
attaboy:))
Bondee
2007-01-06 17:09:42 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
fork, I reckon. If its as a starter, which it probably should be,
debrette will tell you you should only use a fork, people who serve
starters that need a knife are breaking the rules. (I noted that the
lairdette I put up with only served suitable starters). But I think
this is one of the outdated ones, I doubt many care and it does not
seem to have any place in improving the dining expereince, but its
always best to know the rules you are breaking.
--
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
attaboy:))
Or kill two birds with one stone and use a spork!
: )
Ophelia
2007-01-06 17:12:52 UTC
Post by Bondee
Post by Ophelia
Post by Ophelia
Post by graham
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
attaboy:))
Or kill two birds with one stone and use a spork!
: )
LOL well ok but have you seen those sporks you get from the supermarket????
I sometimes buy fresh fruit already diced and packed when I am at work and
those wee plastic sporks are rubbish:)
JennyC
2007-01-07 08:55:17 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Bondee
Or kill two birds with one stone and use a spork!
: )
LOL well ok but have you seen those sporks you get from the
supermarket???? I sometimes buy fresh fruit already diced and packed when
I am at work and those wee plastic sporks are rubbish:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork

See these too:
a.. Runcible spoon
a.. Knork
a.. Splade

Jenny "~)
Anne Chambers
2007-01-07 09:41:30 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Bondee
Or kill two birds with one stone and use a spork!
: )
LOL well ok but have you seen those sporks you get from the
supermarket???? I sometimes buy fresh fruit already diced and packed when
I am at work and those wee plastic sporks are rubbish:)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spork
a.. Runcible spoon
a.. Knork
a.. Splade
Jenny "~)
I have a set of splades given us as a wedding presnt nearly 40 years ago
- and use them regularly. Does that mean I'm non-U :)
--
Anne Chambers,
South Australia
Ophelia
dunno:))
Ophelia
ta:)
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-06 18:33:02 UTC
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Absolutely.
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another. My own take is that as long
as you have the right attitude that shows you pay attention to people
even if you're officially breaking one social rule, only snobs will get
offended.

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Saxman
2007-01-06 19:09:17 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another.
Then you should adapt to that country/region/culture/religion.

Etiquette does make a difference. If you were trying to impress a new
found lover, I'm sure you would care.

If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
Phil C.
2007-01-06 19:30:14 UTC
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 19:09:17 +0000, Saxman
Post by Saxman
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another.
Then you should adapt to that country/region/culture/religion.
Etiquette does make a difference. If you were trying to impress a new
found lover, I'm sure you would care.
Care? Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen, that's what I say. They should
be grateful if I take my boots off in bed. Note what a roaring success
I am with the totty.
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
I'd expect her to kneel, mate. And I don't just mean to give me an
honour. Know what I mean, squire?
Phil C.
Ophelia
THWAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
June Hughes
June Hughes
Umbrian
2007-01-07 09:09:13 UTC
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
I'd expect her to kneel, mate. And I don't just mean to give me an
honour. Know what I mean, squire?
THWAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
O, I think we have been cursed with a Mr.C doppelganger with a hard
mouth!
Ophelia
Yers!
Waldo Centini
2007-01-06 20:56:43 UTC
Phil C. surprised us with
Post by Phil C.
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
I'd expect her to kneel, mate. And I don't just mean to give me an
honour. Know what I mean, squire?
Oh, Queen, eh, very nice. And how d'you get that, eh? By exploiting the
workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the
economic and social differences in our society.

We're living in a dictatorship: a self-perpetuating autocracy!

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of
government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses,
not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Well, I didn't vote for you!

June Hughes
June Hughes
JennyC
2007-01-07 09:12:34 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
*** Is This A Dead Parrot I See Before Me ***
Hi Waldo
I am curious - are you Dutch, English or something completely different ??
Jenny
Waldo Centini
2007-01-07 10:31:12 UTC
JennyC surprised us with
Post by JennyC
I am curious - are you Dutch, English or something completely different ??
Dutch. But been working in England and with Brits for such a long time... And
I'm not something completely different, ta very much!

Ophelia
2007-01-07 10:36:50 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
JennyC surprised us with
Post by JennyC
I am curious - are you Dutch, English or something completely different ??
Dutch. But been working in England and with Brits for such a long time... And
I'm not something completely different, ta very much!
He is, he is, he is, *point*

*snigger*
Waldo Centini
2007-01-07 11:51:11 UTC
Ophelia surprised us with
Post by Ophelia
Post by Waldo Centini
I'm not something completely different, ta very much!
He is, he is, he is, *point*
T H W A A A A A A A P P P!!!

Ophelia
2007-01-07 12:07:12 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
Ophelia surprised us with
Post by Ophelia
Post by Waldo Centini
I'm not something completely different, ta very much!
He is, he is, he is, *point*
T H W A A A A A A A P P P!!!
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

*mutter* *grumble* You just wait!!!
JennyC
2007-01-07 12:07:28 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
JennyC surprised us with
Post by JennyC
I am curious - are you Dutch, English or something completely different ??
Dutch. But been working in England and with Brits for such a long time... And
I'm not something completely different, ta very much!
Waldo
T'was meant as a compliment :~)
Jenny (Rotterdam)
Waldo Centini
2007-01-07 13:57:21 UTC
JennyC surprised us with
Post by JennyC
T'was meant as a compliment :~)
Then it will be taken as such!

June Hughes
2007-01-06 22:23:43 UTC
Post by Saxman
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another.
Then you should adapt to that country/region/culture/religion.
Etiquette does make a difference. If you were trying to impress a new
found lover, I'm sure you would care.
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
No I bloody wouldn't! (wouldn't curtsey either!)
June Hughes
Umbrian
2007-01-07 09:14:22 UTC
Post by June Hughes
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
No I bloody wouldn't! (wouldn't curtsey either!)
--
June Hughes
Then why were we so carefully taught how in dancing class? And we
don't even have a queen.
June Hughes
2007-01-07 10:02:52 UTC
Post by Umbrian
Post by June Hughes
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
No I bloody wouldn't! (wouldn't curtsey either!)
--
June Hughes
Then why were we so carefully taught how in dancing class? And we
don't even have a queen.
Ah yes, Judith. IIRC - step, point, curtsey:)
June Hughes
Sacha
2007-01-07 11:26:13 UTC
On 7/1/07 09:14, in article
Post by Umbrian
Post by June Hughes
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood, would you kneel?
No I bloody wouldn't! (wouldn't curtsey either!)
--
June Hughes
Then why were we so carefully taught how in dancing class? And we
don't even have a queen.
Because budding ballerinas curtsey to their audience. ;-)
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:14:30 UTC
Post by Saxman
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another.
Then you should adapt to that country/region/culture/religion.
Why?
Post by Saxman
Etiquette does make a difference. If you were trying to impress a new
found lover, I'm sure you would care.
Absolutely, but that's only one possibility: the other would be that the
lover in question is attracted to your culture and etiquette, and as
such doing things your way would be impressive.

It's always a big question, when you have to cross a cultural divide:
who changes and to what extent? The safest attitude seems to be
awareness: observe and decode. Why do people do these things? For
instance, if your Japanese visitors insist on taking their shoes off
when everybody else keep(s? I never know for this one!) theirs, you may
feel embarrassed for them, or for yourself that you're making them
embarrassed. I don't know the culture very well, but I suppose they do
it out of respect for you, which is what matters.

The same for people who eat noisily, for instance: it irritates the hell
out of me, but at least if they do it in a way that shows they
appreciate my cooking it's a nice compensation.
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood,
I don't think I can, can I?
Post by Saxman
would you kneel?
Of course not! She has the choice: either I kiss her on both cheeks or I
wheel in the guillotine.

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Ophelia
2007-01-07 14:11:45 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
who changes and to what extent? The safest attitude seems to be
awareness: observe and decode. Why do people do these things? For
instance, if your Japanese visitors insist on taking their shoes off
when everybody else keep(s? I never know for this one!) theirs, you may
feel embarrassed for them, or for yourself that you're making them
embarrassed. I don't know the culture very well, but I suppose they do
it out of respect for you, which is what matters.
I am getting too old to be bothered about such things.
Post by Gregoire Kretz
The same for people who eat noisily, for instance: it irritates the hell
out of me, but at least if they do it in a way that shows they
appreciate my cooking it's a nice compensation.
Well, that kind of thing makes me feel sick and while I wouldn't complain at
the time, I doubt if we would eat in their company again.
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by Saxman
If you received a knighthood,
I don't think I can, can I?
Well you could receive the Thwap of Saint O of course:))
<G>
Umbrian
2007-01-07 16:09:10 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Gregoire Kretz
The same for people who eat noisily, for instance: it irritates the hell
out of me, but at least if they do it in a way that shows they
appreciate my cooking it's a nice compensation.
Well, that kind of thing makes me feel sick and while I wouldn't complain at
the time, I doubt if we would eat in their company again.
We definitely are twins separated at birth. I once spent quite a long
time living with a very nice fellow, but in the end I left because his
table manners were so dire I couldn't bear eating with him.
Ophelia
Aye!
Saxman
2007-01-07 19:00:34 UTC
So you are for etiquette and no 'do as I like'?
Sacha
2007-01-07 19:12:36 UTC
Post by Saxman
Post by Umbrian
We definitely are twins separated at birth. I once spent quite a long
time living with a very nice fellow, but in the end I left because his
table manners were so dire I couldn't bear eating with him.
So you are for etiquette and no 'do as I like'?
If "do as I like" puts other people off their food, it's a bit selfish,
don't you think? I'm with Judith - I loathe bad table manners and eating
with or near someone who makes a pig of themselves (IMO) literally makes me
lose my appetite. There's a difference between good manners and finicky
etiquette about eating jelly with a fork and good manners merely mean
consideration for other people while in their company.
Dave Fawthrop
2007-01-07 19:26:49 UTC
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 19:12:36 +0000, Sacha <***@privacy.net> wrote:

|On 7/1/07 19:00, in article enrg0h$v8e$***@news.datemas.de, "Saxman"
|<***@btinternet.com> wrote:
|
|> Umbrian wrote:
|>
|>> We definitely are twins separated at birth. I once spent quite a long
|>> time living with a very nice fellow, but in the end I left because his
|>> table manners were so dire I couldn't bear eating with him.
|>
|> So you are for etiquette and no 'do as I like'?
|
|If "do as I like" puts other people off their food, it's a bit selfish,
|don't you think? I'm with Judith - I loathe bad table manners and eating
|with or near someone who makes a pig of themselves (IMO) literally makes me
|lose my appetite. There's a difference between good manners and finicky
|etiquette about eating jelly with a fork and good manners merely mean
|consideration for other people while in their company.

Your life has clearly been very sheltered. Each culture has a different
food etiquette. Do you consider it wrong eat curry with only chapattis? I
was once berated, by a Sikh friend, for using a spoon. Do you consider it
wrong to shovel rice into your mouth from a small bowl with chopsticks.
There is actually no other way, and a spoon is definitely wrong in Chinese
culture.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
Ophelia
not exactly no. But common courtesy costs little
JennyC
2007-01-07 14:29:43 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by Saxman
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another.
Then you should adapt to that country/region/culture/religion.
Why?
Rude not too????

<snip>
Post by Gregoire Kretz
The same for people who eat noisily, for instance: it irritates the hell
out of me, but at least if they do it in a way that shows they
appreciate my cooking it's a nice compensation.
Eating out in China is an experience you would not enjoy. They spit on the
floor, burp and slurp :~))

Jenny
graham
2007-01-06 19:40:01 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Absolutely.
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another. My own take is that as long
as you have the right attitude that shows you pay attention to people
even if you're officially breaking one social rule, only snobs will get
offended.
My first experience of cultural differences wrt etiquette was when I
experienced French food for the first time. When I was a poor student in
London, I went to Chez Solange, of blessed memory, a resto specialising in
bourgeois French cooking. As I was tucking into the coq-au-vin, an
obviously middle class Frenchman at a nearby table was served with
escargots. First he tucked the knapkin into his collar and then picked up
the snails with his fingers and used the empty shells to scoop up the
butter - ignoring the fancy implements. I thought then how sensible was
this attitude to eating and how a stiff-upper-lip Englishman would have
eaten the dish.
BTW, the 3 course meal, coffee and a 1/2 bottle of claret was about 6 quid.
How times have changed.
Graham
Ophelia
2007-01-06 19:51:02 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
[...]
Oh dear! I eat them like that:(
Graham
June Hughes
2007-01-06 22:25:54 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by graham
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
[...]
What? - With a stiff upper-lip?
June Hughes
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:14:30 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by graham
As I was tucking into the coq-au-vin, an
obviously middle class Frenchman at a nearby table was served with
escargots. First he tucked the knapkin into his collar and then picked up
the snails with his fingers and used the empty shells to scoop up the
butter - ignoring the fancy implements. I thought then how sensible was
this attitude to eating and how a stiff-upper-lip Englishman would have
eaten the dish.
In any culture, it's always fascinating to see how people decide at
times they can get away with not following strict rules of politeness.
Post by Ophelia
Oh dear! I eat them like that:(
You can also sponge it off in little bits of nice bread. :)

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Ophelia
:))
Phil C.
2007-01-06 20:08:26 UTC
Post by graham
My first experience of cultural differences wrt etiquette was when I
experienced French food for the first time. When I was a poor student in
London, I went to Chez Solange, of blessed memory, a resto specialising in
bourgeois French cooking. As I was tucking into the coq-au-vin, an
obviously middle class Frenchman at a nearby table was served with
escargots. First he tucked the knapkin into his collar and then picked up
the snails with his fingers and used the empty shells to scoop up the
butter - ignoring the fancy implements. I thought then how sensible was
this attitude to eating and how a stiff-upper-lip Englishman would have
eaten the dish.
OTOH I met some unpretentious people in Wales who'd been invited to an
upper-class French wedding. They'd received a letter asking them if
they knew how to use a knife and fork. I don't think this was intended
to be quite as offensive as it sounded - it was more that the meal was
going to consist of all sorts of fancy things with fancy cutlery and
etiquette. So it ain't just the Brits.
Phil C.
JennyC
2007-01-07 08:58:04 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Absolutely.
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another. My own take is that as long
as you have the right attitude that shows you pay attention to people
even if you're officially breaking one social rule, only snobs will get
offended.
Greg
Best advice to to watch one host(ess) and copy them................
Or ask Mrs Bucket :~)
Jenny
June Hughes
2007-01-07 10:12:45 UTC
Post by JennyC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Absolutely.
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another. My own take is that as long
as you have the right attitude that shows you pay attention to people
even if you're officially breaking one social rule, only snobs will get
offended.
Greg
Best advice to to watch one host(ess) and copy them................
Or ask Mrs Bucket :~)
Jenny
<G> Someone in another group vent her spleen by calling me Mrs Bucket a
few months ago. People here know otherwise:)
June Hughes
Ophelia
Indeed!!! She is Mrs Bouquet *runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssss*
June Hughes
2007-01-07 11:02:51 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by June Hughes
Post by JennyC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Absolutely.
Etiquette is subjective and codified, it varies from one
country/region/culture/religion to another. My own take is that as long
as you have the right attitude that shows you pay attention to people
even if you're officially breaking one social rule, only snobs will get
offended.
Greg
Best advice to to watch one host(ess) and copy them................
Or ask Mrs Bucket :~)
Jenny
<G> Someone in another group vent her spleen by calling me Mrs Bucket a
few months ago. People here know otherwise:)
Indeed!!! She is Mrs Bouquet *runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssss*
Right. That is it. And you didn't run fast enough, so here is a
thwaaaap. That's larn yer:)
June Hughes
Ophelia
*ouch* *sulk*
June Hughes
2007-01-07 12:56:03 UTC
Post by Ophelia
*ouch* *sulk*
<G> that's two you've just had. Be careful how you sit down.

PS the sushi in Harvey Nicks yesterday was lovely, except it is now 'Yo
Sushi', which is the same firm that runs the new one in Brent Cross.
Nothing wrong with that except I wanted to try a different firm.
However, they are springing up all over the place. Afterwards went to
Horrids and bought a lovely stainless steel-lined oval copper frying pan
for half price. (Not Mauviel - I have several of their pans).
Then.............. we had tea, a beautiful fruit tart and a rum cocktail
in the Terrace Restaurant. After that we went and wasted some money on
make-up but what the heck - we had fun. Bas wouldn't go there if you
paid him.
June Hughes
Ophelia
2007-01-07 13:29:48 UTC
Post by June Hughes
Post by Ophelia
*ouch* *sulk*
<G> that's two you've just had. Be careful how you sit down.
PS the sushi in Harvey Nicks yesterday was lovely, except it is now 'Yo
Sushi', which is the same firm that runs the new one in Brent Cross.
Nothing wrong with that except I wanted to try a different firm. However,
they are springing up all over the place. Afterwards went to Horrids and
bought a lovely stainless steel-lined oval copper frying pan for half
price. (Not Mauviel - I have several of their pans). Then.............. we
had tea, a beautiful fruit tart and a rum cocktail in the Terrace
Restaurant. After that we went and wasted some money on make-up but what
the heck - we had fun. Bas wouldn't go there if you paid him.
Why? Does he not wear make-up?

O whooooshes her behind outta da way sharpish:)
June Hughes
2007-01-07 15:35:42 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by June Hughes
Post by Ophelia
*ouch* *sulk*
<G> that's two you've just had. Be careful how you sit down.
PS the sushi in Harvey Nicks yesterday was lovely, except it is now 'Yo
Sushi', which is the same firm that runs the new one in Brent Cross.
Nothing wrong with that except I wanted to try a different firm. However,
they are springing up all over the place. Afterwards went to Horrids and
bought a lovely stainless steel-lined oval copper frying pan for half
price. (Not Mauviel - I have several of their pans). Then.............. we
had tea, a beautiful fruit tart and a rum cocktail in the Terrace
Restaurant. After that we went and wasted some money on make-up but what
the heck - we had fun. Bas wouldn't go there if you paid him.
Why? Does he not wear make-up?
<Patronising grin> No, he just hates shopping and dislikes eating out.
Post by Ophelia
O whooooshes her behind outta da way sharpish:)
I should have thought after two thwaps, you would be unable to move it.
What are you wearing? A cast iron corset? (My turn to run away
quickly:)
June Hughes
Ophelia
*point*
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:23:06 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by June Hughes
Right. That is it. And you didn't run fast enough, so here is a
thwaaaap. That's larn yer:)
*ouch* *sulk*
Funny, all those layers of quoting should have softened the blow?
She must be a very strong thwapper. :)

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Ophelia
nodnodnodnodnodnod
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:14:30 UTC
Post by June Hughes
<G> Someone in another group vent her spleen by calling me Mrs Bucket a
few months ago. People here know otherwise:)
*Sits on hands*
:)

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
June Hughes
2007-01-07 15:36:29 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by June Hughes
<G> Someone in another group vent her spleen by calling me Mrs Bucket a
few months ago. People here know otherwise:)
*Sits on hands*
:)
And there was me just about to say something about your charming French
manners:)
June Hughes
Waldo Centini
2007-01-06 20:51:10 UTC
graham surprised us with
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food.
Utter nonsense. Most etiquette and rules point you to the use of the most
suited utensil for eating certain foods. It's etiquette to eat soup with a
spoon because it's the most practical. It's the most practical to degrate a
fish with a fishknife, therefor it has become etiquette to use a fishknife
for eating fish.

Not knowing etiquette, or willfully ignoring it, disallows you from using the
right implement, and thus can ruin your enjoyment of the food.

June Hughes
2007-01-06 22:27:01 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
graham surprised us with
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food.
Utter nonsense. Most etiquette and rules point you to the use of the most
suited utensil for eating certain foods. It's etiquette to eat soup with a
spoon because it's the most practical. It's the most practical to degrate a
fish with a fishknife, therefor it has become etiquette to use a fishknife
for eating fish.
Not knowing etiquette, or willfully ignoring it, disallows you from using the
right implement, and thus can ruin your enjoyment of the food.
But surely your host should provide the correct tools for the job in
order not to embarrass his/her guests?
June Hughes
graham
2007-01-07 00:44:30 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
graham surprised us with
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food.
Utter nonsense. Most etiquette and rules point you to the use of the most
suited utensil for eating certain foods. It's etiquette to eat soup with a
spoon because it's the most practical.
But does it matter whether one moves the spoon away from one or towards?
Post by Waldo Centini
It's the most practical to degrate a
fish with a fishknife, therefor it has become etiquette to use a fishknife
for eating fish.
That came from the time when cutlery was made from carbon steel and not
stainless.
Post by Waldo Centini
Not knowing etiquette, or willfully ignoring it, disallows you from using the
right implement, and thus can ruin your enjoyment of the food.
Not necessarily. I'm not suggesting that it's ok to eat like pigs at a
trough - just questioning what makes something "right" in a particular
society.
Graham
Gregoire Kretz
2007-01-07 13:14:30 UTC
Post by Waldo Centini
graham surprised us with
Post by graham
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food.
Utter nonsense.
He may be sober? :)
Post by Waldo Centini
Most etiquette and rules point you to the use of the most
suited utensil for eating certain foods. It's etiquette to eat soup with a
spoon because it's the most practical.
These may be two different things, IMHO: it's practical to have soup
with a spoon, yes, the etiquette comes next when you have to decide
which side of the spoon you eat from. IIUC Brits use the side while the
French use the tip, for instance (spoon shape notwithstanding).
Etiquette would also be for the French that you never have soup twice in
the same meal: the host is supposed to offer a second helping but the
guests are supposed to refuse politely (the same goes for salad and
cheese).
Post by Waldo Centini
It's the most practical to degrate a fish with a fishknife, therefor it
has become etiquette to use a fishknife for eating fish.
Paging Matthew, who hasn't posted here in a long time. :)
He'll gladly explain fish knives were created by Sheffield cutlery
makers when they wanted to push well off customers to buy an entirely
new set of cutlery, hence Nancy Mitford's non-U.

And if it's to serve a long fish, I'm almost more at ease with two table
spoons anyway.
Post by Waldo Centini
Not knowing etiquette, or willfully ignoring it, disallows you from using the
right implement, and thus can ruin your enjoyment of the food.
I still think that's different: cutlery is a tool, which is a natural
extension of the arm/hand. Granted, there is a large cultural content in
it (as in we have forks, they have chopsticks), but different tools can
achieve the same goal, I think, and as such are equally valid,
culturally speaking.

Of course, if you're going to be a die-hard diplomat, you're supposed to
use the protocole and etiquette of the place you're at, which makes
things easier. :)

Greg
--
Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Sacha
2007-01-07 14:57:44 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by Waldo Centini
graham surprised us with
Post by Waldo Centini
Most etiquette and rules point you to the use of the most
suited utensil for eating certain foods. It's etiquette to eat soup with a
spoon because it's the most practical.
These may be two different things, IMHO: it's practical to have soup
with a spoon, yes, the etiquette comes next when you have to decide
which side of the spoon you eat from. IIUC Brits use the side while the
French use the tip, for instance (spoon shape notwithstanding).
Tipping the bowl of soup away from you while you eat the soup was merely to
avoid dumping it in your lap by accident. Bowl shaped soup spoons, while
widely used, are definitely not 'posh'. Using something like a table spoon
is. The main thing however, is to enjoy the soup!
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette would also be for the French that you never have soup twice in
the same meal: the host is supposed to offer a second helping but the
guests are supposed to refuse politely (the same goes for salad and
cheese).
AIUI the French believe that you should never use a knife to cut salad but
eat it only with a fork. And they are horrified when the English cut across
the bottom of a wedge of e.g. Brie as they always cut along its length, so
that everyone get a bit of the lovely gooey stuff in the middle.
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by Waldo Centini
It's the most practical to degrate a fish with a fishknife, therefor it
has become etiquette to use a fishknife for eating fish.
Paging Matthew, who hasn't posted here in a long time. :)
He'll gladly explain fish knives were created by Sheffield cutlery
makers when they wanted to push well off customers to buy an entirely
new set of cutlery, hence Nancy Mitford's non-U.
Someone remarked to the Queen Mother how common it was to use 'fish eaters',
so she promptly asked her butler to lay the tbale with them every time that
particular guest visited her, saying "I do believe we'll use my common fish
eaters today". ;-)
Post by Gregoire Kretz
And if it's to serve a long fish, I'm almost more at ease with two table
spoons anyway.
I'm fascinated and filled with admiration for the waiters who can fillet and
serve a cooked sole, using just spoons.
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Post by Waldo Centini
Not knowing etiquette, or willfully ignoring it, disallows you from using the
right implement, and thus can ruin your enjoyment of the food.
I still think that's different: cutlery is a tool, which is a natural
extension of the arm/hand. Granted, there is a large cultural content in
it (as in we have forks, they have chopsticks), but different tools can
achieve the same goal, I think, and as such are equally valid,
culturally speaking.
Of course, if you're going to be a die-hard diplomat, you're supposed to
use the protocole and etiquette of the place you're at, which makes
things easier. :)
Like picking up a soup cup (the kind with little handles) to drain your
clear soup to its last lovely drop - it's the 'done thing' but not many
people dare 'do it'.
June Hughes
2007-01-07 15:41:46 UTC
In message <C1C6BAE8.4050B%***@privacy.net>, Sacha <***@privacy.net>
writes
Post by Sacha
Tipping the bowl of soup away from you while you eat the soup was merely to
avoid dumping it in your lap by accident. Bowl shaped soup spoons, while
widely used, are definitely not 'posh'. Using something like a table spoon
is. The main thing however, is to enjoy the soup!
I would agree with that.
Post by Sacha
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette would also be for the French that you never have soup twice in
the same meal: the host is supposed to offer a second helping but the
guests are supposed to refuse politely (the same goes for salad and
cheese).
AIUI the French believe that you should never use a knife to cut salad but
eat it only with a fork. And they are horrified when the English cut across
the bottom of a wedge of e.g. Brie as they always cut along its length, so
that everyone get a bit of the lovely gooey stuff in the middle.
Erm. Greg is French.
June Hughes
Sacha
2007-01-07 16:06:34 UTC
Post by June Hughes
writes
Post by Sacha
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette would also be for the French that you never have soup twice in
the same meal: the host is supposed to offer a second helping but the
guests are supposed to refuse politely (the same goes for salad and
cheese).
AIUI the French believe that you should never use a knife to cut salad but
eat it only with a fork. And they are horrified when the English cut across
the bottom of a wedge of e.g. Brie as they always cut along its length, so
that everyone get a bit of the lovely gooey stuff in the middle.
Erm. Greg is French.
Yes, I know. So is my ex sister in law from St Estephe. That's where I got
this kind of information from.
graham
2007-01-07 17:11:05 UTC
Post by Sacha
Post by June Hughes
writes
Post by Sacha
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Etiquette would also be for the French that you never have soup twice in
the same meal: the host is supposed to offer a second helping but the
guests are supposed to refuse politely (the same goes for salad and
cheese).
AIUI the French believe that you should never use a knife to cut salad but
eat it only with a fork. And they are horrified when the English cut across
the bottom of a wedge of e.g. Brie as they always cut along its length, so
that everyone get a bit of the lovely gooey stuff in the middle.
Erm. Greg is French.
Yes, I know. So is my ex sister in law from St Estephe.
Definitely Deuxième Cru then{:-)
Graham
Sacha
2007-01-07 18:50:04 UTC
<snip>>>> Erm. Greg is French.
Post by graham
Post by Sacha
Yes, I know. So is my ex sister in law from St Estephe.
Definitely Deuxième Cru then{:-)
Graham
At that time, yes. ;-) I think the family has now sold up and moved to
Provence where they make wine from grapes grown biodynamically.
graham
2007-01-07 17:10:01 UTC
Post by Sacha
Post by Sacha
Like picking up a soup cup (the kind with little handles) to drain your
clear soup to its last lovely drop - it's the 'done thing' but not many
people dare 'do it'.
Don't routiers?
Graham
Sacha
2007-01-07 18:43:08 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Sacha
Post by Sacha
Like picking up a soup cup (the kind with little handles) to drain your
clear soup to its last lovely drop - it's the 'done thing' but not many
people dare 'do it'.
Don't routiers?
Graham
Yes. But I reckon they'd dare anything. ;-)
Phil C.
2007-01-07 15:14:27 UTC
Post by Gregoire Kretz
Paging Matthew, who hasn't posted here in a long time. :)
He'll gladly explain fish knives were created by Sheffield cutlery
makers when they wanted to push well off customers to buy an entirely
new set of cutlery, hence Nancy Mitford's non-U.
Now I was told (so it must be true) that fish knives tarnished with
use and had to be left out to air - hence a separate set of cutlery.
Phil C.
June Hughes
2007-01-06 22:22:34 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
fork, I reckon. If its as a starter, which it probably should be,
debrette will tell you you should only use a fork, people who serve
starters that need a knife are breaking the rules. (I noted that the
lairdette I put up with only served suitable starters). But I think
this is one of the outdated ones, I doubt many care and it does not
seem to have any place in improving the dining expereince, but its
always best to know the rules you are breaking.
--
Etiquette and rules can ruin the enjoyment of food. FFS, if you prefer to
use a drinking straw with risotto, eat it that way!!!
Graham
Exacterly! Snobs are something I can't abide. As for Debrette's? Nuff
said, I reckon.
June Hughes
Umbrian
2007-01-07 09:11:03 UTC
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
I think you should eat it with the implement you have been given. I
have never been given anything here in Italy but a fork to eat risotto.
When I make it for just me, I make it creamier and often use a spoon,
alone, shutters closed, not answering the door.
Sacha
2007-01-07 11:25:39 UTC
On 7/1/07 09:11, in article
Post by Umbrian
Post by Saxman
In terms of etiquette, what should eat risotto with, spoon or fork?
I think you should eat it with the implement you have been given. I
have never been given anything here in Italy but a fork to eat risotto.
When I make it for just me, I make it creamier and often use a spoon,
alone, shutters closed, not answering the door.
This reminds me of the person who was asked the best way of eating a peach.
"In the bath", was the reply.