OT India
Giusi
2013-01-02 12:41:05 UTC
For those who have been and who have lived there, may I ask about destinations and any advice? We can go off usenet once I find you.
Of course, once I've been I can list everything I've eaten, but for now this is OT.
Ophelia
2013-01-02 14:03:10 UTC
Post by Giusi
For those who have been and who have lived there, may I ask about
destinations and any advice? We can go off usenet once I find you.
Of course, once I've been I can list everything I've eaten, but for now this is OT.
We lived and worked in Delhi so were not travelling around a great deal,
but the Taj Mahal is not to be missed and there are beautiful forts
everywhere. I expect you will visit far more places than I was able to.
Personal security has to be a big concern! Oh yes, and be careful where you
eat! Mind you, if you like *hot* food you will be in heaven:) Everything
seems to be spiced:( Really not the place for the likes of me :) The only
place which didn't, I found on a visit to TJFridays of all places:) I
usually ate at home.

I had friends who used to go to Goa on holiday because it has beaches for
tourists, but I prefer the north ... not quite so hot:) I was in
Bombay/Mumbai once and it was *very hot*!

Most people are aware of a very strong odour when they arrive. You do get
used to it. To me it is just part of India:) Animals are everywhere. You
will share the roads and streets with cows, elephants, camels, oxen, dogs,
monkeys, bison etc many roaming freely, all doing what they do naturally :)

Incidentally, if you try to take a photo of an animal with an owner, you
will be expected to pay. In fact you are expected to pay for 'everything'
so keep good supplies of Rupees. Very small amounts are fine.

In the city all traffic drives on its horn .. so you get a cacophony from
lorries, buses, cars, rickshaws, auto rickshaws, motor scooters - usually
carrying a whole family ie father in the driving seat, child/children
standing in
front of him, wife on the back seat holding a baby .. and only father with a
helmet:( Exhaust smoke billows out from all the ancient vehicles, (smog is
usual) so mix all that with the animals on the road ... you get the idea.
Nothing moves very fast because it is so congested. You would be well
advised to carry a mask to cover your nose and mouth. Most Indian women
cover them with their scarf but I doubt that would be effective. There is no
surprise that the Asthma hospital, has huge queues outside all the time.

You will certainly find it an experience and I would say, not one to be
missed.

How long do you intend to be there?
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Giusi
2013-01-02 14:33:02 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Giusi
[...]
I plan on a month, and I know I will not see it all, but at least a look at each quarter globally. I had intended to go to Goa, but I am wavering because it does seem so resorty. Then I was told not to miss Kerala, but on a bit of reading I find that Kerala is the least safe place for women.

So, Bangalore, skipping Delhi and writing their tourist board to say why, so maybe Calcutta instead, considering Pondicherry coast, Rajasthan, looking for suggestions.

I've signed up with a group of travelers who join each other as travel buddies, all over 50 and well-represented in the UK. So far have heard from one Australian man who is going elsewhere but wants to talk about travel. He seems to do several long trips a year, leaving wife at home in Melbourne, but it's early days yet.

You know chillies don't scare me! I so much want to meet elephants and camels in the street! I love Peru and saw a beautiful foto of Peru this AM and my thought was, if only they had elephants.
Ophelia
2013-01-02 14:59:50 UTC
Post by Giusi
Post by Ophelia
How long do you intend to be there?
I plan on a month, and I know I will not see it all, but at least a look
at each quarter globally. I had intended to go to Goa, but I am wavering
because it does seem so resorty. Then I was told not to miss Kerala, but
on a bit of reading I find that Kerala is the least safe place for women.
:( I did mention your personal safety and that will be true in all but
the most cosmopolitan places. Fancy hotels are good, but I doubt you are
going to see them:))
Post by Giusi
So, Bangalore, skipping Delhi and writing their tourist board to say why,
so maybe Calcutta instead, considering Pondicherry coast, Rajasthan,
looking for suggestions.
Are you skipping Delhi because of what I said about the traffic et al.
Because I think you will find most big cities like that *especially*
Calcutta. Btw do try to get to Agra. The Taj Mahal is very beautiful.
Post by Giusi
I've signed up with a group of travelers who join each other as travel
buddies, all over 50 and well-represented in the UK. So far have heard
from one Australian man who is going elsewhere but wants to talk about
travel. He seems to do several long trips a year, leaving wife at home in
Melbourne, but it's early days yet.
I am please you will be going with a group. Safety in numbers and all
that!
Post by Giusi
You know chillies don't scare me! I so much want to meet elephants and
camels in the street! I love Peru and saw a beautiful foto of Peru this
AM and my thought was, if only they had elephants.
Well you will know what to do now if one steals your hat:))
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Giusi
2013-01-02 20:13:05 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Are you skipping Delhi because of what I said about the traffic et al.
Because I think you will find most big cities like that *especially*
Calcutta. Btw do try to get to Agra. The Taj Mahal is very beautiful.
I am skipping Delhi because there are justified riots going on due to the inattention of authorities to crimes against women. Traffic doesn't worry me much. Pollution, well I return to pristine air and can recover.
I don't know yet. If somebody congenial wants to go for part or all, then I will travel as a pair.
Ophelia
2013-01-02 20:15:27 UTC
Post by Giusi
Post by Ophelia
Are you skipping Delhi because of what I said about the traffic et al.
Because I think you will find most big cities like that *especially*
Calcutta. Btw do try to get to Agra. The Taj Mahal is very beautiful.
I am skipping Delhi because there are justified riots going on due to the
inattention of authorities to crimes against women.
YES! Sorry I hadn't though of that.

Traffic doesn't worry me much. Pollution, well I return to pristine air and
can recover.

Cool:)
Ophelia
2013-01-02 16:46:40 UTC
"Ophelia" <***@Elsinore.me.ku.invalid> wrote in message news:kc1en7$3ea$***@dont-email.me...
Everything
Post by Ophelia
seems to be spiced:( Really not the place for the likes of me :) The only
place which didn't, I found on a visit to TJFridays of all places:) I
usually ate at home.
I just remembered I once went to a Chinese restaurant and even that food
tasted of curry.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
sf
2013-01-03 15:23:51 UTC
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:03:10 -0000, "Ophelia"
Post by Ophelia
You will certainly find it an experience and I would say, not one to be
missed.
OMG, it sounds awful. Pass.
Malcolm Loades
2013-01-02 21:29:47 UTC
Post by Giusi
For those who have been and who have lived there, may I ask about
destinations and any advice? We can go off usenet once I find you.
Of course, once I've been I can list everything I've eaten, but for now this is OT.
I've been to Rajastan several times and love the area. Obvious cities
to visit include Agra (Taj Mahal), Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur.

Less obvious but a real favourite of mine is Pushkar which is midway
between Jaipur and Jodhpur. It's a small town surrounding a lake and is
a place of pilgrimage for Hindus. The story is that the lake was formed
after Brahma dropped a lotus flower on the earth there. Being such a
holy place the eating of meat is forbidden anywhere in Pushkar as is
alcohol. There are also signs requesting that couples do not hold hands
in public, Temples surround the lake and bathing ghats lead into the
water. There is nothing more magical than listening to the sound of
chanting coming from the temples and floating across the lake at night.
It's a place to slow down in and chill out ..... except in November each
year when there is a camel fair.

On the subject of camels Jaisalmer is on the edge of the Thar Desert and
from there you can take trips into the desert riding camels. I've done
a 3 day, 2 night camel trip into the desert. We were a group of 4 four
with a guide. We each had a camel plus there was one extra to carry the
water, cooking pots etc. The guide did the cooking and we slept on the
sand under the stars. It was a great adventure.

Safety has been mentioned in another post in this thread - I've never
felt physically threatened in India. Nearly every Indian will try and
separate you from your money by overcharging, twisting, cheating etc.
but wouldn't dream of actually dipping their hand in your pocket and
stealing it :-) You must also be strict with yourself about not giving
to beggars. I salve my conscience by making a donation to the Indian
Red Cross or some other charity at the end of my trip.

How will you be moving around?

Malcolm
Giusi
2013-01-03 08:27:12 UTC
Post by Malcolm Loades
How will you be moving around?
Malcolm
Malcolm, many females report being seriously threatened in certain parts of India, especially. Age, condition, beauty apparently has no part in it. You don't have to be raped to have your trip wrecked.

I think how to move depends on where. Since I want to see India, I expect not to fly over her much. One experienced person has said car and driver in certain places, and trains are also possible in many passages.

I meant to travel the Sahara on camel and truck, but sadly I think those days are over for me. Sleeping on the ground would mean not sleeping followed by a day of pain.
Malcolm Loades
2013-01-03 09:06:38 UTC
Post by Giusi
Post by Malcolm Loades
How will you be moving around?
Malcolm
Malcolm, many females report being seriously threatened in certain
parts of India, especially. Age, condition, beauty apparently has no
part in it. You don't have to be raped to have your trip wrecked.
I can only speak as my wife and I have found during several trips to one
state - Rajastan. As they say 'other's mileage may vary'. Yes, there
has been the most terrible case of rape on a bus in Delhi in the past
few days and I'm sure many other threats and attacks. AlI I can say is
that sadly such things also happen in London, Southampton (my home
town), Rome, Adelaide, Chicago etc. The population of India is 1.25
billion!! I really wonder if there is a higher rate per %age of
population attacked there than other countries?
Post by Giusi
I think how to move depends on where. Since I want to see India, I
expect not to fly over her much. One experienced person has said car
and driver in certain places, and trains are also possible in many
passages.
Car and driver is the best way to travel around Rajastan. Rail is
possible but even First Class isn't very comfortable. The gauge is
narrower than in Europe which means that trains tend to rock and roll
around more than you are perhaps used to. Driver and car offers the
flexibility of being able to drive straight on if you don't like a place
you thought you'd like to stay and to stay longer if somewhere appeals.
That's how we discovered Pushkar, we had planned to stay 1 night but
ended up staying for 3 nights.
Post by Giusi
I meant to travel the Sahara on camel and truck, but sadly I think
those days are over for me. Sleeping on the ground would mean not
sleeping followed by a day of pain.
That's a shame.

Malcolm
Martin
2013-01-03 10:36:10 UTC
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 00:27:12 -0800 (PST), Giusi
Post by Giusi
Post by Malcolm Loades
How will you be moving around?
Malcolm
Malcolm, many females report being seriously threatened in certain parts of India, especially. Age, condition, beauty apparently has no part in it. You don't have to be raped to have your trip wrecked.
I think how to move depends on where. Since I want to see India, I expect not to fly over her much. One experienced person has said car and driver in certain places, and trains are also possible in many passages.
I meant to travel the Sahara on camel and truck, but sadly I think those days are over for me. Sleeping on the ground would mean not sleeping followed by a day of pain.
Do have all the vaccinations etc. before going to India. A French
woman I knew had a friend who objected to vaccination on religious
grounds. She went to India for a two week holiday and died there as
the result of a bug she caught.

My daughter is back from Cuba and can't stop talking about what a
wonderful holiday she had including the food.
Martin
Sacha
2013-01-03 10:48:22 UTC
Post by Giusi
Post by Malcolm Loades
How will you be moving around?
Malcolm
Malcolm, many females report being seriously threatened in certain
parts of India, especially. Age, condition, beauty apparently has no
part in it. You don't have to be raped to have your trip wrecked.
I think how to move depends on where. Since I want to see India, I
expect not to fly over her much. One experienced person has said car
and driver in certain places, and trains are also possible in many
passages.
I meant to travel the Sahara on camel and truck, but sadly I think
those days are over for me. Sleeping on the ground would mean not
sleeping followed by a day of pain.
If you get time before you go, do read MM Kaye's autobiographical
trilogy. It's set in the early 1900s to begin with, during the days of
the Raj, but is the most wonderful evocation of India, its people and
its beautiful scenery.
Sacha
Stephen Wolstenholme
2013-01-03 11:58:09 UTC
Post by Sacha
If you get time before you go, do read MM Kaye's autobiographical
trilogy. It's set in the early 1900s to begin with, during the days of
the Raj, but is the most wonderful evocation of India, its people and
its beautiful scenery.
You stirred up a memory. I read "The Far Pavilions" in 1978 when MM
Kaye wrote it. I wanted to visit some of the places she described.

Steve
Sacha
2013-01-03 14:18:31 UTC
Post by Stephen Wolstenholme
Post by Sacha
If you get time before you go, do read MM Kaye's autobiographical
trilogy. It's set in the early 1900s to begin with, during the days of
the Raj, but is the most wonderful evocation of India, its people and
its beautiful scenery.
You stirred up a memory. I read "The Far Pavilions" in 1978 when MM
Kaye wrote it. I wanted to visit some of the places she described.
Steve
So did I but 'back then', especially when they went up into the hills
and she describes the lakes and the 'house boats'. It sounds glorious.
Sacha
Stephen Wolstenholme
2013-01-03 14:34:19 UTC
Post by Sacha
If you get time before you go, do read MM Kaye's autobiographical
trilogy. It's set in the early 1900s to begin with, during the days of
the Raj, but is the most wonderful evocation of India, its people and
its beautiful scenery.
You stirred up a memory. I read "The Far Pavilions" in 1978 when MM
Kaye wrote it. I wanted to visit some of the places she described.
Steve
So did I but 'back then', especially when they went up into the hills
and she describes the lakes and the 'house boats'. It sounds glorious.
I bought "The Far Pavilions" as it was the thickest book in the shop
when I was catching a plane from MIA. My intention was to read it on
the plane but I finished up reading it at every opportunity. My wife
was not impressed with my time wasting. It turned out to be very
expensive book!

Steve
Sacha
2013-01-03 15:05:26 UTC
Post by Sacha
[...]
Reading is *never* a waste of time!! ;-)
Sacha
graham
2013-01-03 22:44:23 UTC
Post by Sacha
[...]
Unless it's the Daily Mail {:-)
Graham
Sacha
2013-01-04 14:23:58 UTC
Post by Sacha
[...]
Definitely not a waste of time......mug of tea, biscuit, warm bed.
Blissful morning start! ;-)
Sacha
Giusi
I read all those with enormous pleasure decades ago. As I said, this has been my dream for a long time.
Sacha
2013-01-03 14:19:46 UTC
Post by Giusi
Post by Sacha
If you get time before you go, do read MM Kaye's autobiographical
trilogy. It's set in the early 1900s to begin with, during the days of
the Raj, but is the most wonderful evocation of India, its people and
its beautiful scenery.
Sacha
I read all those with enormous pleasure decades ago. As I said, this
has been my dream for a long time.
Oh I'm so glad! I thought they were wonderful and even though I've
never been to India, I could well understand her heartbreak at leaving
there and haviing to come back to England, leaving her family behind.
Those were very hard decisions for those who served 'the Raj'.
Sacha
gloria p
2013-01-04 03:52:58 UTC
Post by Giusi
I meant to travel the Sahara on camel and truck, but sadly I think those days are over for me.
Sleeping on the ground would mean not sleeping followed by a day of pain.

We did that a few years ago. We slept in tented camps on very
comfortable beds in the Sahara. Mornings were freezing cold but the
sunrises were worth getting up for.

gloria p
Anne Chambers
2013-01-03 09:22:23 UTC
Safety has been mentioned in another post in this thread - I've never felt physically threatened in India.
Nearly every Indian will try and separate you from your money by overcharging, twisting, cheating etc. but
wouldn't dream of actually dipping their hand in your pocket and stealing it :-) You must also be strict with
yourself about not giving to beggars. I salve my conscience by making a donation to the Indian Red Cross or
some other charity at the end of my trip.
Unfortunately, a woman travelling on her own is a different kettle of fish entirely and is seen as fair game.
Men on their own, or women accompanied by men are much safer as a rule - although that did not apply recently :(
--
Anne Chambers
South Australia

anne dot chambers at bigpond dot com
Malcolm Loades
2013-01-03 10:44:45 UTC
Post by Anne Chambers
Post by Malcolm Loades
Safety has been mentioned in another post in this thread - I've never
felt physically threatened in India.
Nearly every Indian will try and separate you from your money by
overcharging, twisting, cheating etc. but
wouldn't dream of actually dipping their hand in your pocket and
stealing it :-) You must also be strict with
yourself about not giving to beggars. I salve my conscience by
making a donation to the Indian Red Cross or
some other charity at the end of my trip.
Unfortunately, a woman travelling on her own is a different kettle of
fish entirely and is seen as fair game. Men on their own, or women
accompanied by men are much safer as a rule - although that did not
apply recently :(
I've now done some research [1] so let's get this into perspective.

Anne, you're 143 times more likely to be raped in Australia than India!

Giusi is only 4 and a bit times more likely to be raped in Italy than
India. However, when she visits the US it becomes 15 times more likely.

Here are selected statistics for rapes per 100,000 of the population in
2010:-

South Africa 120
Australia 79.5
Grenada 30.5
UK 28.8
USA 27.3
Italy 7.6 (latest figure, 2006)
Thailand 6.7
India 1.8
Canada 1.7

Of course 1.8 rapes per 100,000 of the population means there were
23,000 rapes in India in 2010. Compare that with the total rapes in the
US in 2010 of 85,000!

Malcolm

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
Anne Chambers
2013-01-03 11:04:58 UTC
Post by Malcolm Loades
Post by Anne Chambers
[...]
snip

You've obviously never been a female travelling alone ! I know where it is safe to go in my environment in
Australia; if it's not safe, I don't go. Simple as that. It's not so easy in a foreign country, you are
constantly having to go to places about which you know nothing.

Western females, especially of a certain age, travelling alone in India are seen as fair game. I'm not only
talking about rape, that's not the only thing that can happen to a woman on her own. To quote the Lonely
Planet Guide
"Women travellers:
Although things are changing, particularly in the big cities, India remains a conservative country, especially
so when it comes to the role of women. Despite a long history of erotic art, female sexuality is hidden away
in modern Indian society. Combined with local attitudes to sex, the skimpy clothing and culturally
inappropriate behaviour of a minority of foreign women have had a ripple effect on the perception of foreign
women in India. The situation hasn’t been helped by the Hollywood film industry traditionally portraying
Western women as sexual objects.

One unfortunate consequence of this is that many female travellers experience sexual harassment in India –
predominantly lewd comments and invasion of privacy, though groping is not uncommon. Most cases are reported
in urban centres of North India and prominent tourist towns elsewhere. The problem barely exists in Buddhist
regions like Sikkim and Ladakh, making these areas a welcome bolt hole to escape the hassle of the plains. "
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/india/practical-information/health

Not that I think Giusi will either dress skimpily or behave inappropriately !

Giusi
2013-01-03 13:01:35 UTC
Post by Malcolm Loades
Post by Anne Chambers
Post by Malcolm Loades
[...]
Part of the problem is police refusing to report rape. You need to read a bit more. Before the now famous Delhi rape/murder, another teenager was raped and ended by committing suicide because the police would not report the rape and recommended that she marry one of the two perpetrators. Even her parents couldn't force them to make the report until after the girl killed herself. You can quote Wikipedia all day long and not get close to the potential problems, and frankly, your dismissal of there being a problem is insulting.

As I said, rape is not the only way for callousness to ruin your holiday. Being surrounded and pressed upon by a group of filthy, grinning men while the world looks on and they divest you of anything they like would be one way. Even having men following you and fondling themselves would do it. Being told that going out after dusk is dangerous is to me incredulous. And they fdon't mean dark alleys, they mean anywhere.
Giusi
2013-01-03 12:47:59 UTC
Post by Anne Chambers
Safety has been mentioned in another post in this thread - I've never felt physically threatened in India.
Nearly every Indian will try and separate you from your money by overcharging, twisting, cheating etc. but
wouldn't dream of actually dipping their hand in your pocket and stealing it :-) You must also be strict with
yourself about not giving to beggars. I salve my conscience by making a donation to the Indian Red Cross or
some other charity at the end of my trip.
Unfortunately, a woman travelling on her own is a different kettle of fish entirely and is seen as fair game.
Men on their own, or women accompanied by men are much safer as a rule - although that did not apply recently :(
I have been reading travel memoirs and expat blogs everyday. The most shocking thing is that the authorities are so lackadaisical about assaults on women. Like if you are there you're asking for it. Women travelers have had no responses at all from tourist boards when they wrote detailing their experiences. Some of the things I'm reading are by Indian women who are equally outraged by not being able to see their own cultural icons safely. A typical response by an obviously educated local women was, "I certainly would never go out unaccompanied after dusk." What kind of trip would that be?